Monday, July 14, 2008

So Maybe It's Not Soooooo Bad

You know, in America, we take a lot of things for granted. Really, I'm not kidding. One of the things we have that the UK does not is a million radio stations. We have AM and FM and any where and every where there are radio stations galore...some good and some bad.
But in the UK there are basically four stations. BBC 1-4. So as your driving and get those long silences...you know when Mimi is looking at the map...you know...I need a little...MUSIC!!!
So you turn the radio on and you have a choice of Classical (love it but not good driving music), UK Charts (a wide variety of Pop...except I love it when Amy Winehouse comes on), something else I'm not sure of, and then BBC4...mostly talk radio. So we ended up a lot on 4. 
Now it's not like the talk radio in the States...no way...this is actually good...it is smart radio. Now don't get me wrong...I hated it at first. I went on and on about communist propaganda and the lack of freedom...real freedom in the UK. But after a while, i kind of started liking it. They would discuss issues in depth with people from both sides equally represented. They would do short plays of historical subjects. They would do the news every hour. And, they would read books. Now generally I hate this. But I was completly won over, especially by one book in particular. Now if you are a guy friend of mine...stop reading...cause you are going to think I have gone...well bad.
But the book was called "Wife of the North" (I know...I know). But it was great...so great I added it to our Blog list. You should read it. I am looking for the podcast of it and I will make that available to you as well. It was great...Tracey and I would plan our driving around when it would be on...9:45 precisely. 
Soooooooo, the lesson is, sometimes when we have all we want we miss that which might benefit us more than having and re-having that which we know...or something like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment