Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The Bug In

You know something...some people do things on Sundays that don't involve church...I was not aware of that. Last Sunday, Mimi and I had the chance to run with that crowd who do other things on a Sunday. We packed it up early and headed to Portland in the bug...that's right...the 57. We drove all the way to Portland International Raceway for the annual Rose City Bug In. It is all VW all the time. Swapmeet, carshow, drag-racing, networking...all the fun stuff...it sounded really cool.
Now driving the bug on a normal trip is just a blast...but driving the bug to Portland on the freeway makes Mimi just a little nervous. Not having seatbelts or a gas gauge is scarey enough, but the bridges in Portland almost did her in. But we made it...safe and sound.
The hilarious part was when we arrived they asked us if we were showing the bug. "Uhhhhhh...wellll....we weren't planning on it" I said.
"But you should...you could win prizes" the guy said.
"Sign me up" I says...and off we go to the car show.
As I'm driving in I see cars that I have seen in the VW magazines...realizing I have no chance of winning, I still pull up and park the bug next to some hard core racer type cars. It is like apples next to oranges...you know there fruit, but their completely different. My bug is almost completely stock...and it is really nice.
























As soon as we parked the car, we get out and people start taking pictures of it....some people thought it was so cool...just like I do. It is a weird feeling to think that others see what you have and wish they could have it. So many people were so happy checking out all the cool things about the car...didn't they see the little flaws? Don't they see the things yet to be done? Why did they see the good that I had lost sight of? As I was over Jonesing over the bugs that were flawless...some were trying to imagine owning a bug as nice as mine.
Why do we do that? Why do we forget how great our things, our lives, our situations really are. I hear people say all the time, "if I could only be...only live...only have...my life would be so wonderful." What's wrong with just being content with what we have?
Well Mimi and I had a wonderful day...as I walked through all those beautiful cars...I realized again just how beautiful she is...how much I love to hang out with her...how thankful that she indulges all of my little hobbies...how she makes them hers as well...she is my wife...but she's my best friend too. Pa is very happy...Mimi is really a classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment