Thursday, June 19, 2008

Anticipation...Anxiety


Well it is coming down to the wire. We leave for the journey of a lifetime in just two days. On Friday night we leave for a week in Philadelphia working in the inner city. Then we leave for three weeks in Ireland, Scotland, and England for a vacation that is getting more and more expensive at every turn. Then we begin six weeks of sabbatical from my job to refresh, renew and to rite (I know there's supposed to be a w in front of that...but we have to have three points and they have to...boy I do need a break).

But with every adventure there is a certain amount of fear of the unknown associated with it. But for Pa right now, there is just the fear of forgetting to do something to get ready to go. The anxiety that while I am straining out a gnat (the details) I will miss the Camel (the obvious) sitting on my front porch. People ask me if I'm excited about the trip...NO...there is so much tension and stress I am going to need a month just to recover. The beauty is...for once in my life...I will have that opportunity.

(a stressed out Pa)

Mimi on the other hand is already done with work. Her job has been to take care of many of the details before we go. But all the while the realities of what it costs are actually piling up on her causing a great deal of anxiety (I think it was John Kennedy who said to count the costs before you build something...or maybe Jesus). The insurance, the hotels, the 8 dollar Starbucks...it is all too overwhelming.

But on Friday night...........

The Adventure begins.

3 comments:

  1. Hi mimi and pa - you know you don't have anything to be anxious about! We'll take good care of your place (only a few parties) and you're used to traveling with NO PLAN - what, are you getting old? Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey guys! I am so glad you have this site! I will definitely be checking in on your adventures! Love you guys and you will be missed...but have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi you two!!! I hope you have a wonderful trip and RELAX!!! You are both so deserving... I will be checking in here for all the fun so I can live vicariously through you two!!! We love you.

    ReplyDelete