Friday, June 27, 2008

What is going on around here?

Okay, so life is tough. I get it. I understand that everyone is hacked off because of gas shortages, food prices going through the roof, the escalating price of airplane peanuts, and of course the painful itch of psoriasis. But does everybody have to act like I just spit in their Ben and Jerry’s?  I mean really. Where has people’s sense of humor gone?

 So we’re at O’Hare airport in Chicago and go up to the desk to ask the woman employee standing there in an American Airlines uniform, if our plane was still on time and still at this gate (it had already been changed once on us). So right after I said excuse me, but could you…. she totally cuts me off and says to me with a nasty sneer… "I don’t have any answers.” I said I just wanted to know if our…”I don’t have any answers for you.” So I’m like, “well excuse me but I thought you were a… "you’ll have to wait for a desk helper.” Oh I’m sorry, I wasn’t aware that you were wearing a different uniform that says don’t ask me any questions.

 

So I goes over to another counter where someone who has a different uniform on and ask her the same question. Apparently she could only answer questions pertaining to gate K18…our flight was out of K16. Reluctantly, she tells me that it was at the same gate…but don’t blame her if it changes. Oh…okay.

 Is this what has happened to the American worker? Don’t inconvenience me, don’t ask something that makes me have to work, don’t take me off of my course because all of you dopes who try to fly on our airline are a burden to me. What’s up with that? Don’t people know they are in the CUSTOMER SERVICE BUSINESS!!!!!!


I am so thankful for two of the flight attendants on our plane to Ireland. The one CZ (or Carolyn I think)...(but her husband calls her Squeezy) was so awesome. She had a great sense of humor, was helpful and kind, she loaned me her special Irish pen, and she was aware of the same things we are.

The other was also kind and helpful...(and she was in no way "chopped liver") but I regret I did not catch her name...so sorry...what's wrong with people today. 

These people helped to restore my confidence that there may still be a glimmer of decency in the customer service industry.



Now I’m not saying that I wish things were the way they used to be, when people cared about the reputation of their company. Nor am I saying I wish we could go back to a time when people were concerned about their own personal reputation. Oh wait…maybe I am. I want to go back…. please take me back to those good old days.

Now that's a smile to take you back to some good old days.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the kind words! Hope your trip is as much fun as you guys were. Chopped livers name is Nancy. CZ

    ReplyDelete