Friday, July 4, 2008

What is a Limerick?

There once was a Lassie named Mimi

Such a beauty she makes me drop to me knee-knees 

There’s no doubt I’m her biggest fan 

But I tell ya, she’d kill an ordinary man 

I’d be pleased if Mimi would stay forever with me me

 We have actually been to Limerick…Ireland that is. Very nice town. Big castle right on the river…big church…wait, that’s what every town in Ireland is like. Big castles, big churches. But Limerick is really nice. King John’s castle is now almost 1,000 years old. St Mary’s church is 900 years old…people still worship there every week.

 Cork sucks though. That’s right. Cork sells it self by saying it is second only to Dublin in shopping…what’s so cool about that? Do you think in 200 years people will be saying…”Hey look, that’s the old shopping mall.” Me tinks not!!! (yes that’s how they say it). While we were there I watched as another business was closing it’s doors for the last time. They come and they go.

 When you compare the two, it seems to me to be like the parable that Jesus taught about building your house on sand versus the rock.. Why waste your time going after things that are so temporal…like shopping for stuff. There must be things we could do with our time that will leave a lasting legacy…like King John did. Like the people who built a church expecting it to be there 900 years later

No comments:

Post a Comment