Monday, September 24, 2012

Traveling


Travel Day
September 21, 2012
Well today is a major travel day....not that every day you are traveling isn't, but today is that big one...San Diego to Madrid Spain with a quick stop in New York City. We got up at 4:45 to get to the airport at 5:30, then it is check in, stand in line, be treated like a piece of livestock (not a prized one but one going to the slaughterhouse), rush to the gate, sit and wait, stand in line at Starbucks to pay $16.00 for two coffees and some fruit, stand in line again when they call for you to board the plane, and then sit in the plane waiting for take off. When you finally sit and relax and start to get comfortable...the woman in front of you slams her seat back into your lap. "Hello lady...my name is Bill, what will we be eating together?"

It is so easy for us to complain about traveling these days. It used to be so much fun...now it is a burden and troublesome endeavor...not for the faint of heart or those who get their feelings hurt easily. I mean when they call for "first class people," it makes me aware of the fact with enough money, anyone can feel important. It also reminds me...I am not a first class person. I mean if we were lined up by our class...well I might end up in 5th class.

Another thing that really bothers me is the eager anticipation I have when the food carts roll by me. Now don't get me wrong, I have never met a squished turkey sandwich that didn't become my friend. But now the question is...."would you like to pay $8.00 for a squished sandwich?" No...I would not!

After about an hour of watching the people around me eat their $8.00 squished sandwich, it begins to look really good. We tell the flight attendant that we have reconsidered our previous strong stand...and now might be interested in that $8.00 squished sandwich. "I'm sorry sir...we sold all our squished sandwiches...would you care for a $10.00 container full of cold pasta topped with cold marinara sauce?"

I'm reminded of the great words of one of our social commentators (Louis CK) who said something to the effect of this..."you are strapped to a recliner chair hurtling through space at 36,000 feet to take a 5 hour trip that took your forefathers 6 months to complete and you are complaining because your wifi is slow?" Sorry...I won't complain again.

I'll have that cold pasta now.

No comments:

Post a Comment