Monday, July 7, 2008

Let’s Be Honest for a Minute

I have now been a Christ follower now since September 26, 1974. That is almost 34 years. I have never had a lapse in my conviction where I wondered if I made a mistake about my decision. I have always said I would gladly take a bullet to the head as opposed to renouncing my God (I hope and pray I don’t have to though). I read my Bible, pray (with some ceasing), serve, give, and generally try to honor God in all I do.

But let’s face it…I’m a hypocrite…I am. I don’t always do what I say I believe. I don’t always practice what I preach. As a follower of Jesus I have no problem admitting I am flawed, wrecked, and basically worthy of Hell if not for the great grace of God.

But let’s also be honest…most people are hypocrites. Doctors who smoke. Lawyers who break laws. Dentists who eat candy. Environmentalists who litter. You know…most people.

So when I met Bob the other night at the bluegrass festival, I was not prepared for the level of hypocricy I was about to encounter…an Atheist who loves Gospel music. What???? Most Christians I know hate Gospel music. You know, “if you don’t turn your life around then God’s gonna burn you in the fires of hell” type of songs. How do you do that? And yet, every performer at the festival is under a strict compulsion to sing at least a couple of Gospel songs. That would be like me singing “Oh I can’t wait to get to Hades my eternal home.” Or “I just love living this Godless life, free from the constrains of an oppressive god.” I just couldn’t do it. I don’t understand it.

What it makes me wonder is; has God just become another topic in a country song. Is He right there with an unfaithful woman, a runaway dog, or a broke down pickup truck. Has the view of God and his majesty slipped so far from the importance meters of people that someone who swears there is no God can sing about the GREAT IMORTAL YAHWEH like he’s an unfaithful runaway truck.

Now don’t get me wrong, I really liked Bob the Atheist. I think he is funny, and a really neat guy. But Bob, you’re a hypocrite. Welcome to the world where all of those who hold near and dear our core beliefs, don’t always do and say what we truly believe. Next time you want to be critical of the church, just remember the God we worship, forgives us for being a hypocrite…and he even forgives Atheists…even if he doesn’t believe in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment